What Should I Keep?

Why do we keep so much stuff?
Do you ask yourself what I ask myself several times a year?
I'm always saving books and supplies because - well what will happen if I discard something that I need next year?  Or, I can't throw this away - if I teach this subject in the future, I might need this. What resources and materials should be kept and which ones should be donated or trashed?
Well, I took the plunge and began opening up my stockpile of educational supplies...

What have I found so far in my stockpile:
  1. Mimeograph books : Our district no longer uses them, and they are 20 yrs obsolete - trash
  2. Incomplete bingo sets: Missing too many dice -  trash
  3. Set of geography books saved from the dumpster - review for currency then either donate or trash
  4. Class copies of old worksheets: Why did I save these? Trash
  5. Teacher resources for subjects that I won't teach again: Collated and donated to private schools
I'm not finished, but I'm well on my way. What are you keeping, and what are you trashing this summer?


Dear friends - 
Beginning this week, I will be focusing on completing the Ramadan fast. Therefore, I will be posting articles only once per week until mid-August. Please check in each Monday for a new posting!
  

2 comments:

Heather said...

I made a rule for myself: If I haven't used it in three years, it's history. I donate as much as I can and offer as much as I can to other teachers. I try to clean as I go throughout the year, but that doesn't always pan out!

Queen Bee said...

I think that I'll try the 3 year rule. Thanks for
the suggestions!

Ping your blog