Remembering My Favorite Teachers

     Teachers often become part of our mental "scrapbook" and can flavor our perceptions of education and learning.
A favorite teacher also stands out from the rest!
     How were the teachers you had during your school experience? Once in a while, I reflect on my teachers. I had mostly good teachers, but I really appreciate two teachers that I had in high school. Why? Because they helped me value myself as a learner and helped me see school as a place of nurture and support.


      These high school teachers taught the two hardest subjects that I had in school, and somehow they were able to present them to me in a way that helped me learn. 

Teacher #1: Mr Guggenheim taught chemistry. He was really kind and he presented information by scaffolding learned skills into every lesson and assessment. He made chemistry easy to learn. He also took a personal interest in me and took the time to get to know my specific learning style. 

Teacher #2: Mr Geiger was my geometry teacher. What a character he was - every day was an adventure to see what he would do in class! One day he jumped onto the desk and used an air guitar to recite a theorem - a visual that I can still see in my mind almost 45 years later! He interjected novelty to stimulate our learning.

     Mr Guggenheim and Mr. Geiger - thank you for what you taught me about math, science and the power of self-esteem. I'm sure that you would never guess that I would follow in your footsteps.
  

No comments:

Ping your blog